The DIY 1Home Box is tailored to more tech-savvy users or tech enthusiasts, who would like to assemble the device themselves.
The DIY Box is a simple-to-use device that allows you to connect your smart home to voice assistants without the need for dynamic DNS setup, fixed IP or port forwarding. It enables the connection to your smart home server to be established locally and stores the credentials on the device itself.
Step 1: Instructions for setting up the DIY 1Home Box device
The assembly process is simple and should take about 5 minutes to finish.
What you will need for the DIY 1Home Box hardware device:
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B or Raspberry 3B+
- Micro SD Card (min 8 GB, max 32GB), we suggest Sandisk Extreme cards
- Network Lan cable and
- the Raspberry Pi power charger
Setting up the Raspberry Pi 3/3B+
1. Register and download the 1Home Raspberry Pi Image
2. Copy the image to SD card using Etcher (https://etcher.io/).
3. Insert the card to Raspberry Pi, connect Raspberry Pi to network (with an ethernet cable from the Raspberry to your router) and power.
4. Initial boot will take between 5-10 minutes, depending on your network speed, to update the device with the latest software.
Once you assemble the Raspberry Pi 3B/3b+ (finished with the step 1), please follow the instructions below to connect it.
Step 2: Connecting the 1Home Box
- Please follow our article “Quick Start Setup Instructions - 1Home Box”
- After connecting the DIY Box, you only need a voice licence to keep using voice control - we suggest a Lifetime voice licence
Do you have any questions or suggestions?